In 2017 and 2018, the Native American Voting Rights Coalition—founded by the Native American Rights Fund—held nine public hearings to better understand how Native Americans are systemically and culturally kept from fully exercising their franchise. More than 120 witnesses testified from dozens of tribes across the country.
The final report, Obstacles at Every Turn: Barriers to Political Participation Faced by Native American Voters, was released June 4, 2020, and provides detailed evidence that Native people face obstacles at every turn in the electoral process: from registering to vote, to casting votes, to having votes counted.
Two updates to the Obstacles report were release in October 2021:
- Download a summary of the report’s findings including recommendations for a way forward>>
- Download a summary of Native American voter impact>>
- Download a summary of obstacles related to registration>>
- Download a summary of obstacles related to vote-by-mail>>
- Download a summary of obstacles related to casting a ballot>>
Help spread the word! Find out how you can get involved and spread the word with our promotional toolkit →
Graphic design for the report provided by Katherine Howell-Kiser.
Strategic communications support provided by Pyramid Communications’ Native-led Indian Country Team.